Paris, the city of love and city of lights, shines all year long but it’s definitely during the festive season that its full splendour is revealed.
Lights, decorations, Christmas windows, opera, Christmas markets contribute to this fairy-like atmosphere.
Here is our guide of the best things to do in Paris during the festive season with the key dates of 2018 that you must not miss!
The most beautiful decorations and illuminations:
- Champs Elysées (from November 22 to January 9)
- Place Vendôme: a must-see, with the giant Christmas tree and endless lights.
- Avenue Montaigne: we love the Dior decorations and the fact that all shops are opened on Sundays in December.
- Le Bon Marché (from early November to January 1st). The chicest address of Rive Gauche where you will only find Parisians doing their shopping.
- Le Printemps: the most astonishing Christmas windows. Last year 160 Christmas trees were displayed in the store!
- Les Galeries Lafayettes
The best operas and ballets:
- The Traviata at Opéra Bastille, from September 29 to December 29.
- Cinderella, staged by Rudolf Nureyev, at Opéra Bastille from November 26 to January 2.
- La Dame aux Camelia, staged by John Neumeier, at Opera Garnier from November 30 to January 2.
Where to find the best and most traditional “bûches” (the French Christmas cake):
- La Maison du Chocolat
- Pierre Hermé
CasaÔ tips: treat yourself with a stop at one of the 5* palaces in Paris, to taste their amazing pastries creations. Our favourite: the Christmas cake at the Meurice by their talented (and Instagram famous) pastry chef Cédric Grolet.